[RP TownTalk] Md senator helps pass Telecom immunity

Lou King lking at knob.com
Thu Feb 14 16:12:20 UTC 2008

Joe,
No I have no additional information about the amendment or the language.
As illustrated by Lisa's reference and the OP there is relative little
information generally available (for me) to get /outraged/ about.

I did notice in Lisa's reference that I made an error. Based on the OP,
("The Washington Post called this senate vote a key victory for the
White House") I jumped to the conclusion that the bill sponsored by Sen.
John Rockefeller [D-WV] had a Republican source.  I also see that not
only did Mikulski vote for this bill, but so did 60% of the Senate
Democrats (Thanks again to Lisa).

Give that Sen Rockefeller is the Chairman of the Senate Select Committee
on Intelligence, and Vice Chairman of the Oversight of the Terrorist
Surveillance Program Subcommittee, sponsorship of an Amendment to FISA
does seem appropriate. With my limited understanding of the Senate
rules, it couldn't have come from anywhere else except maybe the
Chairman of the Senate Communication Committee (or what ever its
called). (Now that source may have imped "protecting the corporate fat
cats who buy political favors and access to Congress.")

I guess those that are outraged could explain why they think we should
also be.  Personally, believe it or not, I start out fairly mellow and
to more than feign outraged takes a bit of a nudge. In this case it may
be as a results of my experiences before FISA became a "word", or my
daughter's experience, or my nipping the COC's meds.

Lou <http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=300084>