[RP TownTalk] Md senator helps pass Telecom immunity

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Fri Feb 15 15:57:55 UTC 2008

The destruction of the World Trade Center, the attempted destruction
of the Pentagon, and the killing of 3000 people, was an act of war
against the United States.

During the period between September 11, 2001 and January 17, 2002, the
President sought intelligence on the actions of foreign agents under
the authority given in Article II of the Constitution. That is to say,
the executive branch acted directly and without delay under the
President's powers as Commander in Chief during a time of war.

The only retroactive immunity for telecoms in the Senate bill are for
that period between September 11 and January 17.  See  here in Ttitle
II (see especially section 202):

   http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c110:1:./temp/~c110sDZdgs:e51894:

The House is taking up the bill which originated in the Senate.

The Foreign Intelligence Court of Review (FICR), which sits above the
Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (commonly called the FiSA
court, after the act that created it), affirms that the President
holds such broad powers of surveillance under Article II

   http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/doj/fisa/fiscr111802.html (see down
around footnote 26)

and

   http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/article02/

Congress created the FICR in 1978 for the precise purpose of reviewing
such questions.

The Senate bill also provides that immunity is only granted in cases
that are designed to prevent a terrorist attack, and properly
communicated in writing by the Attorney General.  The immunity is not
"blanket"; it requires some levels of review.  Read the bill.  When a
lawsuit is brought, the immunity only applies if the currently sitting
Attorney General certifies it.

In other words, if Barack Obama is elected President, his Attorney
General will be the one to determine whether the immunity applies in
any particular case, the principal test being whether the intelligence
sought was in the interest of preventing a terrorist attack.

I wish to be protected from harm.  I do not wish for companies to be
swamped with expensive/nuisance lawsuits for complying with entirely
lawful requests for information in the immediate aftermath of an act
of war.

The sole subject of civil immunity is 13-week period in the immediate
aftermath of 9/11.