[RP TownTalk] Md senator helps pass Telecom immunity

Alan Thompson and Sarah Wayland twacks at his.com
Sat Feb 16 20:39:56 UTC 2008

On Feb 16, 2008, at 12:50 PM, Roland Walker wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2008 8:39 PM, Robert Oppenheim
> <Rob.Oppenheim at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Actually, the period covered by the immunity is 5+ years, beginning
>> on September 11, 2001, and ending on January 17, 2007.
>
> The link is broken now, but I assume you have the time span correct,
> and that I had it wrong.
>
> The period of time covered by the immunity affects the emotional
> impact, but not the merits, of my argument.

I must respectfully disagree -- for the first several months to a
year, the nation was in a state of emotional shock, and was
responding without necessarily thinking carefully through
consequences.  After a few years, and certainly by a few months after
the New York Times article that revealed the program and its
questionable legality (published December 16, 2005) they should have
been seriously questioning their actions, and perhaps seeking to
bring themselves in line with the law.

> The broad powers of the Commander-in-Chief with regard to surveillance
> under Article 2 have indeed been tested in court.  In addition, the
> role of Commander-in-Chief prima facie includes surveillance powers,
> as under his or her command are military surveillance facilities such
> as you might find at Fort Meade.
>
> I don't believe telecoms should be punished for complying with
> lawful requests.

I'll just quote Senator Dodd on this one -- he's much more eloquent
than me:

"In their telling, when our biggest telecom corporations helped the
President spy without a warrant, they were doing their patriotic
duty. When they listened to the executive branch and turned over
private information, they were doing their patriotic duty.

When one company gave the NSA a secret eavesdropping room at its own
corporate headquarters, it was simply doing its patriotic duty. The
President asked, the telecoms answered.

Shouldn't that be an easy case to prove, Mr. President? The
corporations only need to show a judge the authority and the
assurances they were given, and they will be in and out of court in 5
minutes. If the telecoms are as defensible as the President says, why
doesn't the President let them defend themselves? If the case is so
easy to make, why doesn't he let them make it? Why is he standing in
the way?"

- Senator Dodd, on telecom amnesty, Dec. 17, 2007

If the law is so clear, the cases will not be a significant burden on
the telecoms (perhaps costing less than they've spent trying to
influence this legislation).  Since we (and, according to our own
Representative Hoyer) don't know much about what was asked for and
what was provided, I don't think we know whether the law is clear or
not.

> The remedy, should you disagree with those actions by the President,
> is political.  Vote for someone who would make different decisions.

Or to ask your elected representatives to vote to have the courts
perform their duties under the constitution, which is how this
discussion started.

	Alan