[RP TownTalk] Md senator helps pass Telecom immunity

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Sun Feb 17 02:02:31 UTC 2008

[ alan writes]
> I must respectfully disagree -- for the first several months to a year, the
> nation was in a state of emotional shock, and was responding without
> necessarily thinking carefully through consequences.  After a few years, and
> certainly by a few months after the New York Times article that revealed the
> program and its questionable legality (published December 16, 2005) they
> should have been seriously questioning their actions, and perhaps seeking to
> bring themselves in line with the law.

Dear Alan,

I'll go you one better, and lovingly disagree.

Article 2 is Article 2 is Article 2.  No matter where or when, Article
2 is still Article 2.  The President, as Commander-in-Chief, has vast
power to fight and surveil to protect our way of life.  That's why it
is so very important, so crucial, when we vote, to vote for someone we
trust with that power.  Surely you and I agree on that.

Like the power of the pardon, the Article 2 powers are plenary powers
that inhere in Executive, the two counterbalances being Congress's
prerogative to declare war and to control the budget dedicated to war.
 The judicial branch does not have any constitutional power to review
acts of war by the executive or by the military.

The FISA court is not part of the independent judicial branch, but is
created by statute, like an agency.  It cannot make any exercise of
constitutional powers illegal.  FISA provides a level of review and
process and recordkeeping with regard to the exercise of some grave
powers, which to me seems like a good thing.  But the president can
also surveil outside of FISA, because the Constitution says he can.

I think that the telecoms probably couldn't be *forced* to comply
without a statute -- a statue which could be reviewed by a court.
Though the FISA statute *does* force telecoms to comply with requests
that follow the FISA process. (See
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/50/usc_sec_50_00001802----000-.html)

Anyway, those telecoms that agreed to assist in patently legal
surveillance conducted outside FISA should not be punished.  And there
are many, many reasons to avoid having classified surveillance
practices discussed in an open court.

I suppose you and I differ most on whether the telecom surveillance
directed by the executive branch is "patently legal".

I hold Article 2 on my side, and I would add the Authorization of the
Use of Military Force passed on 14 Sep 2001, which directs the
President to

   use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations,
   organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized,
   committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on
   September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons

I think I can make my case best by referring again to the power of the
pardon.  Presidents can pardon *anyone*.  Bill Clinton pardoned a
top-10-most-wanted fugitive.  Don't like that?  Tough noogies -- it
was Clinton's absolute right and prerogative.  All you can do is vote
for someone you think can use that plenary power wisely.  The same
goes for the President's Article 2 powers.

As you know, Alan, I believe that the collective wisdom expressed by
the vote is wiser than me or any other single person.  I wish you to
accept my position as a respectable one, but I do not urge you to
adopt it.  You think for yourself quite nicely.

I do, however, urge you to vote, as I would urge anyone who disagrees
with me to vote.  And I urge you to keep these matters foremost when
you do, because (again, I hope you and I agree) these are among the
most important issues we face when we choose our next leader.

PS You are so more eloquenter than any old Senator Dodd.