[RP TownTalk] Md senator helps pass Telecom immunity

Robert Oppenheim Rob.Oppenheim at comcast.net
Sat Feb 16 21:04:18 UTC 2008

Dwight Holmes wrote:
> I'm just sorry Qwest isn't an available option for us in this part of
> the country. I'd love to reward them with my business for their
> courage and fortitude in standing up to the government and refusing
> to break the law.
There are some Qwest services available to Maryland customers.
Details are below, but first a quote I found interesting from a May
2006 USA Today article:

"Among the big telecommunications companies, only Qwest has
refused to help the NSA, the sources said. According to multiple
sources, Qwest declined to participate because it was uneasy
about the legal implications of handing over customer information
to the government without warrants."

The article also says...

The agency's goal is "to create a database of every call ever made"
within the nation's borders, ... it means that the government has
detailed records of calls they made --- across town or across the
country --- to family members, co-workers, business contacts and
others. ... It is the largest database ever assembled in the world ...

The whole article is an interesting read, find it here:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-05-10-nsa_x.htm

And yes, it has some "balancing" counter statements - mostly quotes
from the white house saying they aren't really doing this.

*Qwest Services Available in MD*

Qwest offers long distance service for conventional phone lines.
(I use to have their long distance service and was quite happy with it.)
http://www.qwest.com/residential/ld/index_oor.html
(If really interested, search the internet for better deals).

You can probably get cell phone service from them and wireless Internet
https://shop.qwest.com/en/US/wireless/service?cmd=QW_PlansList&marketSegment=RES#

They now offer VOIP packages as well. I am fuzzy on the details
and availability, but it appears to be available here in Riverdale:
http://qwest.usdirect.com/riverdale-qwest-bundle-md.html
(If that link is transient, try http://qwest.usdirect.com/ then
click on Maryland, then Riverdale).

-Rob