[RP TownTalk] Md senator helps pass Telecom immunity

Alan Thompson and Sarah Wayland twacks at his.com
Sat Feb 16 16:38:58 UTC 2008

Qwest's motivations are indeed quite interesting.  You might remember
a front-page story from the Washington Post in October that Qwest was
(apparently) asked by the NSA to do something Qwest's general counsel
thought illegal in FEBRUARY, 2001.  I think (hope?) that everyone can
agree that telecom immunity shouldn't go back THAT far.

The article is quite unclear about what was requested (as all of the
court documents had the interesting information blacked out), but the
date (many months before 9/11), and the fact that the lawyers thought
it illegal at the time, are not.

In case you don't remember the article, you can still read it at
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/12/
AR2007101202485.html

Alan