[RP TownTalk] Md senator helps pass Telecom immunity

Alan Thompson and Sarah Wayland twacks at his.com
Sun Feb 17 04:27:57 UTC 2008

Dear Roland,

You know, when you write me such a nice letter but make the "To:" be
towntalk, and just cc me, I don't know exactly how to interpret it.
I'll just let that go, I guess. I'm not going to try to top you on
the "disagreement" front, but will remain respectfully in
disagreement, and within the posting guidelines.

I didn't ever think that TownTalk was going to be a forum on
constitutional law, but, hey, "anything of interest" is "anything of
interest," right?

> Article 2 is Article 2 is Article 2.

Article 2 is Article 2.  You're right.  But the Fourth Amendment
(prohibiting unreasonable searches and seizures, for those of you
reading along) is the Fourth Amendment.  When interpreting Article 2,
you have to keep the Fourth Amendment in mind (and the Eighth, but
that's another discussion).

Back to the main point: the courts have the power to review actions
taken by the executive branch under Article 2, period.  That
separation of powers is the foundation of our government.  So, if the
Executive Branch violates other sections of the Constitution while
exercising valid Article 2 powers, the courts can intervene and
insist that the violation stop (for example, and much to the point,
the December 18, 2003, decision by the Second Circuit Court of
Appeals in the case of José Padilla that "the President lacked
inherent constitutional authority as Commander-in-Chief to detain
American citizens on American soil outside a zone of combat"; that
particular point was never reviewed by the Supreme Court and is thus
still an open question, admittedly, but NO ONE suggested that the
Judicial Branch did not have the right to review the President's
actions).

> I suppose you and I differ most on whether the telecom surveillance
> directed by the executive branch is "patently legal".

That IS a big point of disagreement -- I am dubious on that point,
and I think the courts should review what happened.  And I agree with
Senator Dodd that if it is so "patently legal" then the words "motion
for summary judgement and dismissal" should be all that the telecom's
attorneys should have to say.

Your invocation of the Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF)
doesn't change my mind a bit -- the congress cannot pass laws that
violate the constitution.  If the Administration violated the
Constitution but says "the AUMF said I could", well, sorry, the
Constitution trumps the AUMF.  (I could open another front in this
discussion about amending/repealing the AUMF, but I'm getting tired.)

> I think I can make my case best by referring again to the power of the
> pardon.  Presidents can pardon *anyone*.

The "power of the pardon" is not limited (much) by the rest of the
constitution.  Article 2 is.  I guess he could PARDON the telecoms
without getting into constitutional hot water. ;-)

> I do, however, urge you to vote, as I would urge anyone who disagrees
> with me to vote.  And I urge you to keep these matters foremost when
> you do, because (again, I hope you and I agree) these are among the
> most important issues we face when we choose our next leader.

I will vote -- I've missed only one election (school board election
in 1991) since turning 18, and I *do* keep matters like this in mind
when I consider the candidates.  I encourage EVERYONE to vote,
regardless of how they feel on any issue, and to educate themselves
on the positions and backgrounds of the candidates before casting
their vote.

I also encourage them to contact their Senators and Representative to
express their opinion on the issue at hand.  People should be more
involved in government than just tapping a touch screen every few
years, and letting your reps know your opinion is an important part
of US democracy.

Warm regards,

Alan

> PS You are so more eloquenter than any old Senator Dodd.

I am NOT more eloquenter than Senator Dodd. He probably places
punctuation and capitalizes more consistently than I do, too.

P.P.S.  Roland's original note (lightly excerpted here) is at
http://riverdale-park.org/pipermail/towntalk/2008-February/003527.html