[RP TownTalk] Md senator helps pass Telecom immunity

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Sun Feb 17 23:48:36 UTC 2008

I should have written more clearly throughout that I'm talking about
Commander-in-Chief powers vs all Article 2 powers -- there's a lot of
other stuff in Article 2.

God knows I agree there is such a thing as too much surveillance.  I
also think that the domestic side of the war has gone on too long and
should be re-thought.

Imputing what the Supreme Court might have been thinking when they
declined to take a case puts you on weak ground against a clear
precedent in Ex Parte Quirin.

I think you'd be on stronger ground to acknowledge past practice and
caselaw and make your argument in favor of a new, different system of
review.  After all, Bush has argued that this is a new, different kind
of war.