[RP TownTalk] Md senator helps pass Telecom immunity

Alan Thompson and Sarah Wayland twacks at his.com
Mon Feb 18 03:51:51 UTC 2008

Dear Roland,

(I hope at least Lou/C.O. Coot is happy we're still discussing this)

I'm happy to propose a new, different system of review for the long
haul, but at the moment a bill is in conference that could change
something Real Soon Now, and I want to take advantage of that
situation.

As we both agree, the President is Commander in Chief and runs a war.
However, as we also both agree, it is the Congress that has the power
to suspend civil liberties (for example habeus corpus) during times of
war, civil unrest, ...  The President thinks the Congress gave him that
power in the Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF), a piece of
legislation.  Some Members of Congress have stated that this was not
their intent with the AUMF, and they would not have voted for it if it
said that.

So, the Congress and the President disagree on what a piece of
legislation says.  Congress *could* just re-write the AUMF, but they
would have to do it with a veto-proof majority (I doubt the President
would sign a piece of legislation tying his hands); this isn't likely.
So we're stuck with this version of the AUMF.  Who should interpret the
law and decide whether the President's interpretation is correct?  The
President??  That doesn't make sense to me.

So, I am going to stick with my request that Congress allow the courts
to interpret the law and decide whether the President is following his
Article 2 duties to "take care that the laws be faithfully executed".
They may well decide that they DON'T have jurisdiction, but I would
rather they considered the question than not.

	Alan

P.S. Ex-parte Milligan (1866): military trials in areas where the civil
courts were capable of functioning were illegal, even during times of
war
Hamdi v. Rumsfeld (2004): the Executive Branch does not have the power
to hold indefinitely a U.S. citizen without basic due process
protections enforceable through judicial review.  I can't believe I
actually agree with Scalia on this one.