[RP TownTalk] beyond outraged

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 17:42:29 UTC 2008

anybody else see 60 Minutes last night?

(if you didn't you can see the transcript here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/21/60minutes/printable3859830.shtml)

Hoyer is the first to get a version of this letter. Pelosi, Conyers,
Mikulski & Cardin follow shortly.

Congressman Steny Hoyer
1705 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515

Honorable Congressman:

I am a constituent of yours, residing in Riverdale Park MD.  Watching
60 Minutes on CBS last night, and learning of the case of former
Governor Don Siegelman of Alabama, I am beyond outraged.  We sit idly
by while a former state governor today sits in federal prison for the
crime of doing politics, railroaded by a once-proud judiciary system
that has been politicized by recognition by the current administration
– thus far with near impunity.

As I'm sure you are familiar with the case I won't lengthen this
letter with any further description.  I couldn't help but notice at
the end of the piece it was reported that "Karl Rove and others at the
White House were subpoenaed to testify before Congress but they
refused to appear. And the Justice Department has refused to turn over
hundreds of documents in the case," and that, furthermore, "Don
Siegelman has six years and eight months to go on his sentence."

The fact that 52 former state attorneys-general of both parties have
demanded that Congress to investigate the Siegelman case tells us that
this is something that should receive the highest priority and
urgency.

I know that recently the House passed a contempt citation in an effort
to get Harriet Miers and Josh Bolten to appear and testify, and to get
the White House to produce documents.

More must be done. This particular case in particular needs to be
investigated with hearings. The pressure must be increased on the
White House. This is a total miscarriage of justice. The truly guilty
must be identified and held accountable – and the innocent freed from
prison.  I hope you will do everything in your power as Congressman
and Majority Leader to ensure that hearings are scheduled and, as
necessary, contempt citations issued.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Dwight R. Holmes
4716 Riverdale Rd.
Riverdale Park MD 20737