[RP TownTalk] question re: driveway "aprons"/ parking

Karen Smyth karenfsmyth at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 21:06:23 UTC 2008

I am hoping to receive clarification from someone on this listserve in a position of authority, whether it be Town Hall, the police Dept, the mayor, Councilpersons, etc...

Can you tell me what the law is regarding on street parking in front of street "aprons"?  I have an apron, without a driveway (yet) and a small work trailor in our back yard that we semi regularly need access to such apron to move in and out of for work, etc...

I had a verbal altercation with this neighbor when I asked her to move one of the 2 cars blocking me on either side of me (including the one parked in front of my apron) so I can get out to go to work (literally almost bumper to bumper - maybe a foot of space on both ends), where she started to tell me I was parked too far up for her to get another car in front of me without blocking her driveway (I was not near her driveway - she had a car in front of me that blocked it by about a foot and a half - she didn't need to park there).   When I told her she should not be parking in front of our only excuse for a driveway, she told me she was told by a police officer with the Riverdale Police that she can park anywhere on this street, including in front of my apron because she "pays property taxes." [She was told after another argument over street parking with another neighbor - trend here?] ...

I was under the belief that since it is in theory, our driveway entrance, no one (except us) should be able to park in front of it.  Seeing as my household has 2 cars and no functioning driveway, and they have 4-5+ cars at any one time and a driveway that easily fits 2 cars, I'd like clarification.  Also, can someone tell me if I need special permits or anything to put in a driveway (not cement, but stone or pebble)?

Thank you,
Karen