[RP TownTalk] East Campus & Tax Increment Financing

poplifegirl at mac.com poplifegirl at mac.com
Tue Jan 8 14:52:15 UTC 2008

I don't think that the "efficacy" of TIF is really up for debate. The
simple fact is that College Park and Hyattsville are being smart
about their development plans.

I hope the new MUTC can look beyond itself and see the development
happening around them and seek to partner with these cities to add
value to our planning and development progress. Riverdale alone
cannot draw this type of development and create small businesses, but
in partnership and using available incentives - like applying to be
part of the Arts District it can be a step in the right direction.

Just a reminder, in development, government does not have to
compromise or approve the first development that comes along - or
work with something that isn't quite right. I am sure that
Hyattsville had many offers and plans for the Lustine Property, but
they held out for a reputable developer who have transformed
underutilized areas into community centers (ex. Clarendon).  For
example the land on the corner of Route 1 and EW HWY - how does a
bank with drive thru lanes create a livable and walkable community?
It doesn't - not in any way. Something we should really ask
ourselves. Is that bank going to define us? Will it let people know
they are in Riverdale as they breeze by it? No. They also won't see
people walking around or local folks shopping there. And
unfortunately this further divides Riverdale and creates a "car-
centric" area, rather than a community oriented liveable and walkable
community. Smart development creates jobs, encourages small business,
creates tax revenue (so that homeowners can pay less taxes) and most
importantly, it improves the quality of life for citizens.

I am absolutely thrilled that there will be a Birchmere within 2
miles of my house and that I will be able to walk to Busboys and
Poets. This will make me want to not drive to another town to go for
coffee or see a show, I can spend my money here in Riverdale.

Just thoughts - if anyone is interested in forming a citizen
committee for smart development, let me know.

Best,
Heather
Oliver Street