[RP TownTalk] Gazette article on our new police chief hiring

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 20:04:59 UTC 2008

Thursday, Jan. 17, 2008

Riverdale Park gets new police chief

Former U.S. Park Police Chief Teresa C. Chambers was sworn in as the
head of the Riverdale Park police department Jan. 10, bringing with
her nearly 30 years of experience in the field.

The position had been open since May 2007 when the previous chief, Tom
Parker, retired. Capt. Patrick Timmons served as acting chief until
now.

Chambers served as chief of the U.S. Park Police until 2004 when she
was dismissed for publicly stating there was a need for more officers
and money to ensure the safety of visitors to National Parks. Chambers
appealed her dismissal and the case is still pending in federal court,
she said.

Chambers, who lives in Calvert County, said Tuesday that after taking
a four-year hiatus from active duty, she loves being back in uniform.
For the past two years, she taught in the division of public safety
leadership part-time at the Johns Hopkins University.

''[Teaching] kept me involved so my profession didn't go stale," she
said. ''[But] there's nothing like putting on the uniform."

Chambers worked for the Prince George's County Police for 21 years,
retiring as the commander of District 1 in Hyattsville. She moved to
Durham, N.C., in 1998 to serve as police chief before going to the
Park Police in 2002.

 Mayor Vernon Archer said he felt her time with District 1, as well as
her time in Durham and with the Park Police, makes her a good fit for
the town.

''She's able to come with a broader perspective by not just having
knowledge of the immediate area, but also by working outside of the
area," he said.

Chambers said though she's held three chief positions, each of them
have been very different.

''All of my career I've worked in a large setting," she said. ''This
is an opportunity for me to get to know the people who live and work
here."

 Riverdale Park has 18 sworn and six civilian officers.

 Chambers said one of her main goals is to maintain the quality of
life of the residents already experience.

 ''I'm motivated by the fact that people take pride in their
community," she said.

 Archer said he was impressed by the fact that Chambers expressed
interest in meeting people in the community.

 ''I want her to really try to integrate herself into the community. I
think her first priority should be getting to know her own department,
meaning the police officers and the residents [she serves]," he said.

 Chambers said she also plans to continue to attract and retain
exceptional police officers.

 ''It's a really competitive market," she said. ''We've got to be on
our toes to attract the brightest and the best."