[RP TownTalk] Cavalier high-speed internet?

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 00:23:35 UTC 2008

I'd be curious if anyone has tried to do a thorough side-by-side
comparison of the various options for tv, internet and phone,
available in our town.  We've been living free & easy with my son
living with us  -- he works for Comcast and so we get the whole entire
kit & kaboodle for nada.  Alas, all good things come to an end, and it
looks like he's moving out this spring.  I've been doing a little
investigating and it sure is mighty confusing (and scary expensive --
we've been totally spoiled!).  One more market failure undermining the
basic tenets of free enterprise: How in hell does one get complete
information on everything that's available? I notice for starters that
they love to tell you about the introductory prices, but aren't as
forthcoming with the regular prices that kick in thereafter.

Most surprising and chagrining: I don't see that Comcast (and I think
Verizon too though I could be wrong on that) have any on-going,
non-introductory deals that bundle the various services: e.g.
Comcast's 'triple play' is $99 for (somewhat limited) digital cable +
internet + phone. But after the year is up, there's no ongoing bundled
price that I have seen.

Somebody should start a wiki page  ;-)

On 1/25/08, Robert Oppenheim <Rob.Oppenheim at comcast.net> wrote:
> I called.
>
> It is DSL in this area and not fiber.
>
> The $39.90/mo price is for DSL internet and phone service and is an
> introductory price for 6 months (then $49.90/mo). And with taxes that
> is roughly $56.90/mo for 6 months then $66.90.
>
> Your DSL speed depends on your exact location for our street they
> claim 6-12 MB (but did not quote the uplink speed).
>
> Rob
>

> Regina M. Kreger wrote:
> > Neighbors, I just got a mailer for Cavalier high-speed internet & phone,
> > I think it's fiber optic? It says "our fiber-based network"....  It's a
> > good price compared to my current Verizon phone + DSL, so I'm wondering
> > if any of you have tried it and can comment on the service?
> >
> > Thanks

___
Riverdale Park Community Wiki
http://rpwiki.wetpaint.com/