[RP TownTalk] Cavalier high-speed internet?

Rob Oppenheim oppenheim at email.com
Sat Jan 26 19:44:06 UTC 2008

Dwight Holmes wrote:
 > ... I don't see that Comcast [or other vendors]... have any on-going,
 > non-introductory deals that bundle the various services: e.g.
 > Comcast's 'triple play' is $99 ... But after the year is up,
 > there's no ongoing bundled price.

Here is what I did after my initial Comcast deal was up...

When the deal is nearly up, call and ask for the Retention Department
then explain how you are going to switch to a satellite dish (or some
other competitor) because it looks to be cheaper and has more (whatever
reasons you can come up with - such as more HD channels etc).

They will offer you a deal. You decide if its good enough to keep your
business. Haggle. You have to mean it, that is, be willing to switch if the
deal is not good enough. The retention deal will also expire (sometimes
a year, sometimes less) and you repeat the process again. So far, they
have managed to keep my business (just barely) for several years.

Dwight, you can try doing that now and you might get a better deal than
the bundle they are publicly offering.

As an example, I currently get Comcast Internet and the better Digital Plus
cable with HBO with HD and a DVR for $80/month.(I get my VOIP phone
service from another vendor for about $20 month). So for about the same
price as their Triple Play, I get better cable, free HBO, HD and a DVR.
Sweet.

[The DVR is similar to a TIVO, that is, you can pause and rewind live TV
and record a show while watching another - or record two shows at the
same time. I enjoy the capabilities of the DVR, but  it has given me some
problems. TIVO is probably better.]

I like my VOIP too. Its loaded with features, free long distance and its
cheap. But for reasons too complex to go into here,  I will not
recommend my current VOIP provider, except to say they are
a lot cheaper than Vonage, Verizon or Comcast. (On the other hand,
it is nice to get everything from one vendor on one bill and with minimal
"finger pointing" when something goes wrong).

I am very happy with my Comcast Internet. Works great for me.

-Rob

P.S. Also try a google search on Comcast Triple Play. There are 3rd party
deals with Triple Play for $99 plus $250 cash back, which could make it
really cheap. Probably has lots of restrictions, but worth checking out.