[RP TownTalk] Wachovia and the Field of Rubble

Gerald King Gerald at geraldking.com
Wed Jul 16 19:51:37 UTC 2008

Heather Blanchard wrote:
{I can't help but think that the end goal would be to restore the Rte. 1
corridor into a walkable community, similar to the approach
Hyattsville's downtown. There would be mixed use, incorporation of
community needs and consistent aesthetics.}
What a quaint little thought. Walkable, mixed use, consistent
aesthetics-these have been the fantasy thoughts of the good people of
Riverdale Park. Too bad they are not the dominant thoughts of the
pragmatists, developers and  and power brokers in this town and county
who see gold in this strip of the nations oldest highways.  We were
told, the corner was too valuable to allow old buildings and a landmark
mural to stand in the way of building a brand new franchise
business-Exhart Drugs. They (Exhart) were the only ones willing and
capable to pay the absentee owners who wanted more for their properties
than any small businesses could afford. The deal had to include several
other (old) buildings that might be considered (aesthetically
consistent). Money talks and the demolition of all but one of the
buildings was done surprisingly quick.  Then came the never ending
struggle between big bucks business, power giddy governments, and the
good people of Riverdale Park.  Financial problems knocked out Exhart
and led to "The Field of Rubble" The financial value of this large
buildingless property can only be developed by deep pockets with
political pull. The good people of Riverdale and historic
conservationists posed problems for the deep pockets. Walkable, mixed
use, and consistent aesthetics are not conducive to financial sharpies
who seem to put maximum profit over citizen,s desires. This is not
unusual and I do not mean to imply that all the investors and developers
are mean spirited, cold hearted crooks. They are practical business
people who usually feel they are doing good.
My fantasy (suggestion) is to break up the property into separate lots
(originally the there were four separate lots). Then limited purchases
to small entrepreneurs. Assist these purchasers in financing the
building of small one or two story structures whose facade would be
aesthetically consistent with our late nineteenth-early twentieth
century style. Save and restore the one remaining building in the
original land purchase. It has some fine lines and good brick work. I
know the old argument  that its an eye sore and not worth saving. They
use that to eliminate historic buildings and replace them with Rite Aid
cookeycutter brickwork.
Finally, I think the town owes a reward to the owner of the Calvert
House who is the only one who has invested in a trellis in front of his
business. I said "invested" because it cost him plenty to make the area
aesthetically inviting and maybe even a little 'walkable'. We need more
business men of this nature.
That's my rant. Once that fantasy is complete, we can turn our attention
to the other side of the street.
Gerald King