[RP TownTalk] Wachovia and the Field of Rubble

lisagrob at verizon.net lisagrob at verizon.net
Wed Jul 16 20:33:59 UTC 2008

  Thanks for clarifying Alice.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at  4:05 PM, Alice Ewen Walker wrote:

I think there is a mistaken assumption that the Town is "making it hard
to build."  The Town - under multiple administrations - has not been a
source of delay in this project and by having a zoning plan that
delineates what the community considers desirable, we are offering a
fast track option for developers who choose to meet the zoning
standards.

This particular project has had many twists and turns, but it has not
been in any way due to the Town placing undue burden, or delay, or
otherwise on this development. We waived the zoning standards, we
extended deadlines on contracts, we provided land rights - it is pretty
hard for me to see how the Town could have provided more. Over the last
8 years, the Town has repeatedly "given to get" in this situation.

The builder has encountered challenges to the project at different times
- Eckerd Corp went out of business, he had to find a new tenant, there
are some sewer and water challenges on the site, negotiating with a
church congregation is hard, and lots of others things --- none of which
have anything to do with the Town slowing down or speeding up the
development process.

- Alice

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 8:15 AM, Heather Blanchard <