[RP TownTalk] Use and abuse of Anacostia River Park - where is the line?

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 15:50:43 UTC 2008

More seriously, I want to say that I agree, Lou, when you write "I am
sorry that 500 + people's reveling in a lovely day and camaraderie,
constrained your enjoyment of an otherwise nice day to ride a bike."
I'm sorry too. I was only sharing my own internal conversation: "Is
there a problem here? or is just a minor annoyance i should just get
over?" I also agree with most of your list of pet peeves re biker
behavior. The biggest threat to my safety on my daily commute to work
(MARC, Metro and a 3 block walk) are the bike messengers moving
stealthily at the speed of light along 17th & L Streets as I walk from
the metro to work.  And they don't bother with bells.  As for the use
of bells, I see them as a courtesy. Even at our leisurely "wise elder"
pace, it's easy to startle walkers along the trail. I find a gentle
tinkling of the bicycle bell to be a little more friendly and less
startling than a shout out of "ON YOUR LEFT" -- but of course, your
mileage may vary.

--
"A budget is a moral document." --Jim Wallis
"Don't tell me what you value, show me your budget, and I'll tell you