[RP TownTalk] Use and abuse of Anacostia River Park - where is the line?

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 20:01:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 1:43 PM,  <lisagrob at verizon.net> wrote:
> A bell doesn't tell anyone which direction to look for someone passing.

Funny you should write this. I used to bicycle to work every day, and
found that shouting "on your left" was known protocol amongst
bicyclists, but was really confusing to pedestrians who don't know
what that means.

I finally realized that ringing the bell and saying "on your left" was
much more helpful - the bell is a well-known sound associated with
bicyclists.

To address the cranky old coot's issue with bicyclists terrorizing
pedestrians: I was taught that bicyclists are supposed to behave as
pedestrians when they are on sidewalks and in crosswalks (e.g., they
should walk their bicycles and yield to pedestrians.) They are
supposed to behave as vehicles when on the street.

The trouble comes in areas like the "bike path" along the Anacostia
where bicyclists and pedestrians share the same areas, and no one has
the clear right of way. In this case, I think we all need to realize
that we should be respectful of each other - pedestrians should walk
to the right side of the path to allow bicycles to pass, and bicycles
should understand that sometimes pedestrians aren't aware they are
there.

-Sarah