[RP TownTalk] Use and abuse of Anacostia River Park - where is the line?

annelbv annelbv at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 15:41:57 UTC 2008

How about a simple: "passing!"
Then, as you pass, say hello.

The trail is multi-use path ans users ALL need to be mindful of other users, for the safety and pleasure of all.

Anne

Dwight Holmes <dwightrholmes at gmail.com> wrote: Exactly. I find that shouting "on your left" more often results in the pedestrian moving TO THEIR LEFT right in front of me than it does in the desired end!  My experience is that on our NE Branch and connected trails, the gentle ringing of the bell works much better.

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Sarah Wayland <sarah.wayland at gmail.com> wrote:
 On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 1:43 PM,  <lisagrob at verizon.net> wrote:

> A bell doesn't tell anyone which direction to look for someone passing.

Funny you should write this. I used to bicycle to work every day, and
 found that shouting "on your left" was known protocol amongst
 bicyclists, but was really confusing to pedestrians who don't know
 what that means.

 I finally realized that ringing the bell and saying "on your left" was
 much more helpful - the bell is a well-known sound associated with
 bicyclists.

 To address the cranky old coot's issue with bicyclists terrorizing
 pedestrians: I was taught that bicyclists are supposed to behave as
 pedestrians when they are on sidewalks and in crosswalks (e.g., they
 should walk their bicycles and yield to pedestrians.) They are
 supposed to behave as vehicles when on the street.

 The trouble comes in areas like the "bike path" along the Anacostia
 where bicyclists and pedestrians share the same areas, and no one has
 the clear right of way. In this case, I think we all need to realize
 that we should be respectful of each other - pedestrians should walk
 to the right side of the path to allow bicycles to pass, and bicycles
 should understand that sometimes pedestrians aren't aware they are
 there.

 -Sarah

--
"A budget is a moral document." --Jim Wallis
"Don't tell me what you value, show me your budget, and I'll tell you what you value." --Sen. Joe Biden

For more information about Riverdale Park, visit http://www.ci.riverdale-park.md.us

Anne Blein-Zuk (formerly Villacres)
TFK PG Chapter
301-704-6612