[RP TownTalk] police cars + rants about commercial vehicles

Anne Blein-Zuk annelbv at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 15:22:12 UTC 2008

Helping officers move in town will ALSO help with retention, more so than letting them drive miles away from work.

I saw a county maintenance truck yesterday whose driver was raving the engine at the red light as if he was at the beginning of a race, then took off at the green light, full speed, only to hit the brakes very hard almost immediately for the next red light. That was plain stupid and the exact opposite of what these hypermilers are doing out there. I am not endorsing hypermilers - they are just another kind of extremist, but demonstrating a lick of conservationism these days is just plain sensitive.

The fact that one doesn't have to pay for gas in company vehicles for work use OR personal use absolutely encourages irresponsible consumption.

Check out this article about responsible cops and their response to high gas prices.

Anne
"Novicky, Marita" <MNovicky at som.umaryland.edu> wrote:            st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
  Coot and Jenna: Your posts are absolutely on targetJ   These are marvelous ideas-- to look for state and federal assistance to help our Town employees buy homes here in Riverdale Park, and to look at suspending taking home vehicles out-of-county.  I agree that having a police car in the neighborhood does offer additional security, and I encourage our Town officials and staff to look at models and funding/incentive programs to help realize these possibilities.   After all, these initiatives help make Riverdale  Park be a green community.

  Marita

  -Message: 4