[RP TownTalk] 6/17 7pm-Protecting Confidential Sources

A H teatimebelle at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 17 14:25:04 UTC 2008

Hi All,

Just a reminder about the program tonight-it's free and open to all!!

THE BOOK NOOK BOOKSTORE PRESENTS...
PROTECTING CONFIDENTIAL SOURCES:
A Reporter's and a Lawyer's Perspective.

Date: TUESDAY JUNE 17, 2008
Time: 7 p.m at BOOK NOOK BOOKSTORE
5606 Baltimore Ave
Hyattsville, MD 20781
301-209-0035
www.booknookbookstore.com

Parking across the street from EYA sales  office.

Bio's of speakers

                Peter Spiegel is the Pentagon correspondent for the Los Angeles Times, covering the U.S. military and the department's civilian leadership as well as major
national security issues from the newspaper's Washington bureau. In that role, he
has traveled overseas frequently, including to Iraq and Afghanistan, to write
about the U.S. military's operations abroad. In May 2008, he and his colleague
Julian E. Barnes were awarded the newspaper's top journalism honor, the Editor's
Prize, for their coverage of the Bush administration's surge in Iraq.

                Peter came to the L.A. Times in March 2006 after spending four years as defense correspondent for the Financial Times, first in the paper's Washington bureau,
where he coordinated coverage of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, and then in its
London headquarters, traveling frequently to Iraq and Afghanistan to write on
reconstruction efforts and the ongoing insurgency. As defense correspondent, Peter
was responsible for overseeing the FT's coverage of both global military
operations and the defense industry.

                Peter joined the Financial Times in 2000 as the newspaper's business correspondent in Washington, covering the Justice Department and other regulatory agencies. In that role, he headed the bureau's coverage of corporate crime and the Enron
scandal, and in 2003 he received the British Press Award as business and finance
journalist of the year for his coverage of the investigation into the Arthur
Andersen accounting firm.

                Prior to joining the FT, Peter spent five years at Forbes, first in the magazine's
New York headquarters and then as a staff writer in its Washington bureau, where
he covered business regulation and the telecommunications and aerospace
industries. Before that, Peter spent two years at Roll Call, the newspaper of
Capitol Hill, covering congressional ethics and campaign financing.

                Peter has a master's degree in European politics and policy from the London School of Economics and a bachelor's in American history from the University of
Pennsylvania. He lives in Washington with his wife, Laura Cohn, a freelance
journalist, and son Mason.

Mark I. Bailen focuses his practice on media and commercial law matters.
Mr. Bailen represents media clients in the areas of libel and privacy defense, pre-publication review, newsgathering, copyright, First Amendment rights, and contract matters. He has successfully defended a television station in a three-week libel trial in Kentucky, secured summary judgment on behalf of a newspaper in a defamation action in Florida, and obtained early dismissal of a newspaper sued for invasion of privacy in the District of Columbia over a high-profile incident at a local school. Mr. Bailen successfully assisted a major daily newspaper in a civil rights lawsuit against a sitting governor and members of his administration for violation of the newspaper's First Amendment rights. He advises media clients on contract-related issues with content providers. In newsgathering matters, Mr. Bailen also works with clients on access and open records issues. He has vetted manuscripts for libel, privacy and copyright issues, including the best-selling
 biography of a former U.S. president. He regularly serves as a panelist at industry seminars and lectures on media law.
Mr. Bailen also advises clients on general corporate matters and handles complex commercial litigation in federal and state courts. In federal court in New York, he defended a foreign government in a $50 million sovereign debt action, recovered a $23 million investment for a foreign bank in a securities fraud action, and defended a waste management company against a $6 million claim for breach of a commercial lease. Mr. Bailen also has assisted numerous companies in protecting their intellectual property rights. In federal court in Maryland, he obtained an injunction preventing unauthorized use of a company's trademark on the Internet and has negotiated successful settlements on behalf of other clients.
Mr. Bailen served as Assistant General Counsel and Treasurer to the Metropolitan Police Boys & Girls Clubs of Washington, D.C. In 2003, working with then-Police Chief Charles Ramsey and the Metropolitan Police Department, Mr. Bailen was instrumental in facilitating the organization's merger with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington, creating a combined organization of 25 clubhouses and an annual budget of over $14 million. Mr. Bailen is now President of the Metropolitan Police Clubs' regional board.
Prior to attending New York University School of Law, Mr. Bailen served as a television producer in Washington, D.C., for a nationally syndicated political talk show.