[RP TownTalk] Incident this morning - worth worrying about?

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 11:47:30 UTC 2008

I was on my way to work this morning about quarter to
6, and was approached by a youngish (20+?) blonde
woman; she asked if I had a cell phone, I said no.
She said she lived 2 streets over from me and had
locked herself out of her house.  Said she'd knocked
on her door, but no one answered.  She asked if I'd
make a call for her and let someone at her house know
that she was outside.  I took the number and asked her
to repeat it, then went inside and called.  The # had
a 301 area code, when I dialed, the message came on
that a "1" was needed in front of the # to complete
the call.  That struck me rather odd for a local
number, but I thought I'd try it anyhow.  When I
dialed the number, all I got was a recording of
soul/rap music.  When I went back outside, the woman
hadn't even stayed around to see if I was able to get
anyone.  So - I don't know if she was just high on
something, or was one of those people who try to steal
high-end cell phones, or what.  I let the police dept.
know in case there WAS someone going around town
trying to scam, rob, or whatever.  I also tried
looking up the # on a "reverse lookup" online, and
while it's a valid landline number, apparently it's
not listed. Has anyone else been approached like this?
 I don't know, it just struck me a bit weird that
someone would wander a couple of streets over for
someone to make a call, and then not even stick around
to see if I got through to anyone.  Or maybe I'm just
too suspicious in my old age?