[RP TownTalk] HMB Spring Soccer Registration, Practices, Games

David Hiles hilesd at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 2 00:37:18 UTC 2008

REGISTRATION:
Hyattsville-Mount Rainier-Brentwood (HMB) Boys and Girls Club will
holding registration for the 2008 spring and fall soccer seasons on
March 6 and 13.  Registration will be conducted at Hyattsville
Elementary School from 7:00 to 8:00 PM.   This applies to old and new
players of all ages.
Registration fees are $65, unchanged from last year.  New players are
Welcome!  If you registering a new player, bring a copy of the
player's birth certificate and a small photo.

**************************************
SMALLSIDED (4v4) SOCCER
For players born after 1997, smallsided practices will begin on
Saturday March 15th.  Practices will be held at the usual location,
behind the football field in Magruder Park.  Our first game will be
on Saturday March 29!  FYI,  we are beginning to think about
expanding this program to cover 5th and possibly 6th grade players in
the fall.

**************************************
COUNTY SOCCER

BOYS TEAMS: TEAM MEETINGS, COACHING CHANGES
For kids  born in any of the years 1992 through 1997, coaches and
practice times will be arranged at a team meeting at the clubhouse.
The meetings will be held on March 8.  Boys  born in 1996 or 1997
will meet from  1:00 to 2:00, those born in 1994 or 1995 will
meet from 2:00 to 3:00, and those born in 1992 or 1993 will meet from
3:00-4:00 PM.  Our first county game will be held on April 19th,
about a month later than has long been the case.

These meetings are important because we need new coaches for all of
the boys teams.  Jeff Mang, Melanie Gugliuzza, and Marc Tartaro are
not coaching soccer this season.  Jeff is coaching an HMB baseball team.

GIRLS TEAM:
Contact Coach Chris Nichols for details about practice.  Our first
county game will be held on April 19th, about a month later than has
long been the case.

**************************************
BOGGY MAIN FIELD AND COUNTY GAMES:   At this time we are unsure if we
will have county soccer home games in Magruder Park this spring.  The
city has not maintained the drainage channels at the east end of the
field needed to allow water to flow off into the creek.  Poor
drainage has made the east  end of the field boggy and essentially
unplayable.  It still has unsafe ruts caused by somebody driving on
the field late last year.  We informed the City Department of Public
Works about the drainage problem last year, but nothing has been done
to date.    This problem does not affect the smallsided program.

Yours in Soccer,

David Hiles
HMB VP
Smallsided Soccer Coordinator