[RP TownTalk] HMB Spring Soccer Registration, Practices, Games

David Hiles hilesd at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 11 12:58:45 UTC 2008

REGISTRATION:
Hyattsville-Mount Rainier-Brentwood (HMB) Boys and Girls Club will
holding registration for the 2008 spring and fall soccer seasons on
Thursday March  13.  Registration will be conducted at Hyattsville
Elementary School from 7:00 to 8:00 PM.   This applies to old and new
players of all ages.
Registration fees are $65, unchanged from last year.  New players are
Welcome!  If you registering a new player, bring a copy of the
player's birth certificate and a small photo.  Registration forms are
available online in the files section of the HMB_All  yahoo group site.

**************************************
SMALLSIDED (4v4) SOCCER
For players born after 1997, smallsided practices will begin on
Saturday March 15th.  Practices will be held at the usual location,
behind the football field in Magruder Park.  Our first game will be
on Saturday March 29!  FYI,  we are beginning to think about
expanding this program to cover 5th and possibly 6th grade players in
the fall.  We have begun marking the field.  If you can help with
field marking, please contact me at hilesd at mac.com.

**************************************
COUNTY SOCCER

Our first county game will be held on April 19th, about a month later
than has long been the case.  Coaches: contact me for a field permit.

GIRLS TEAM:
Contact Coach Chris Nichols for details about practice.

**************************************
BOGGY MAIN FIELD AND COUNTY HOME GAMES:

At this time we are unsure if we will have county soccer home games
in Magruder Park this spring.  The city has not maintained the
drainage channels at the east end of the field needed to allow water
to flow off into the creek.  Poor drainage has made the east  end of
the field boggy and essentially unplayable.  It still has unsafe ruts
caused by somebody driving on the field back in December.  We
informed the City Department of Public Works about the drainage
problem last year(in March and December, again in February this
year), but nothing has been done to date.

To minimize field damage, do not hold practice on the boggy area.  If
you see pickup games being played on wet fields, call it in to the
Hyattsville police dispatcher at 301-985-5060  The police do not have
a regular patrol to control unpermitted use.

The boggy problem does not affect the smallsided program.   However,
the smallsided program lost one 4v4 field when the city parks crew
dragged the infield on the back section of the park, which is
exclusively permitted for soccer this spring...

Yours in Soccer,

David Hiles
HMB VP
Smallsided Soccer Coordinator