[RP TownTalk] free bamboo runners

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Wed May 7 19:25:33 UTC 2008

Of course this type grows too high for that -- but I also have some
very cool bamboo ground cover which stays well below knee height.  I
wonder if that wouldn't soak up water very well, too.

The ground cover might be this stuff

   http://www.bamboogarden.com/Pleioblastus%20pygmaeus.html

Bamboo roots stay extremely shallow, which is one reason why it is not
really so difficult to control as I have heard.  Shallow roots might
be good around a foundation.

"Soaking up water" should occur primarily through transpiration, which
would be limited in principle by the total surface area of the leaves.
 Secondarily on growth and fruiting.  The ground cover does provide a
lot of leaf.

I also have Heavenly Bamboo for my hedge, but that isn't actually
bamboo, despite the name.  Still, the little theme is cool.

PS Someone took the runners.