[RP TownTalk] free bamboo runners

Alan Thompson and Sarah Wayland twacks at his.com
Wed May 7 23:31:57 UTC 2008

The bamboo we removed from our yard sends aggressive runners out many
yards from the stand where it is located.  Depending on the variety
of bamboo, the runners have been known to push their way through
concrete foundations that are less than 4 inches thick.

For this reason I would NOT risk planting bamboo near my house.

Bamboo is not a native plant and it can be aggressive and difficult
to control. If you plant bamboo and don't actively control it, you
run the risk of creating a monster. (Think of the kudzu vine that is
taking over the southern United States. Bamboo has this same
potential.) I would prefer a world where people were careful about
planting such an aggressive non-native species in their yard. The
legacy you leave for the future might involve a monoculture of bamboo
with no room for trees, other shrubs, or any other plants.

There are forms of bamboo that do not have this aggressive quality. I
have no idea what those varieties are, or how to identify them.

People should be aware of the potential repercussions when they
choose to plant bamboo.

-Sarah