[RP TownTalk] Responding to dog bites in general

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Thu May 15 10:34:47 UTC 2008

Dear friends and neighbors,

arisen about what residents can and should do if they suffer a dog bite. Our
police have forwarded the following statement about such incidents:

"In a reported dog bite case, we start by taking the report.  If the dog is
contained on property that is not his own and we can't identify or find the
owner, we will have Animal Control come and pick up the dog.  If the dog is
not vicious (such as an accidental bite) and the dog is not at home but we
can find a way to contain him in a fenced-in yard, pen, or other area, we
also contact Animal Control and have them come to take custody of the dog.
If the dog is at his owner's house, we leave him there.  Animal Control
officials handle any follow-up investigation."

The key in asking for direct help from County Animal Control is being able
to contain the animal so that when they are able to get their, the officer
has reasonable assurance the dog will still be there. Simply reporting that
someone has been bitten by a loose dog will NOT get a response--or at least
not a timely response--from Animal Control.

I hope this information is useful.

Best wishes,

Vern

--