[RP TownTalk] Dog incident

arlettag at comcast.net arlettag at comcast.net
Thu May 15 14:03:41 UTC 2008

I have to agree with Audrey's comments.  I have seen so many dogs suffer for the lack of effort on their human's part.  In order to have a successful relationship between the family and the pet.  They have to learn to communicate with each other.  Training, from my viewpoint, is more about teaching people to do what they need to do to get the dog to behave appropriately.  The most intelligent dog is the equivalent to a 2 year old child, according to some studies.  Would you yell at a child "sit!  sit!  sit!" and expect them to understand without some guidance?

If people take the time to train themselves and really get to know each dog's quirks, the whole family would be so much happier.  Perhaps, we'd end up with less pets in shelters and coming to tragic ends like the other day.  For those that have aggression issues I can recommend a local trainer that is EXCELLENT with aggressive dogs.

So please, get up and go give all of your critters hugs and loves and let them know the part they play in your life.

Arletta (the bleeding heart sap)

From: ABragg7393 at aol.com

I want to thank Chief Chambers for giving us a complete and timely report on this incident.
This may also be a good time to remind pet owners of the serious responsibility involved in owning a pet.  Leash laws require that all dogs be leashed. Responsible ownership is key to preventing these incidents.
We have a great resource in the Canine Training Association which helps owners train dogs.  They are located just up Kenilworth Ave. in Beltsville.   301-864-1647.  You can train your dog/dogs for the small amount of $75 per year!  That's $1.44 per week!  You can't afford not to do it.  A  trained dog is a pleasure to live with and training is a good bond for master/dog relationships.
AudreyBragg