[RP TownTalk] Obama party

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Fri May 16 17:03:18 UTC 2008

United States Constitution, Amdendment 1

  "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
   prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the *freedom of
speech*,
   or of the press; or *the right of the people peaceably to assemble*, and
   to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Assembling and speaking for political purposes are the very core of the
assembly and speech rights.  Novella doesn't need to ask anyone, doesn't
need to coordinate, could use public street parking if she and her fellow
assemblers darn well want to.

Even assemblies such as picket lines that are designed for the specific
purpose of inconveniencing others are protected.

Novella is voluntarily making arrangements to reduce the impact of her
gathering because she's a very nice lady and a good neighbor.  Actually she
has really gone above and beyond.

And PS I'm no fan of Obama myself.