[RP TownTalk] obama party

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Wed May 21 22:31:25 UTC 2008

> I DID ask my questions in order to determine how such a large party was going
> to impact my weekend and my coming and going out of my neighborhood.  I don't
> think those were unreasonable questions to ask.

Yes, whether a political gathering will affect your weekend is a very
reasonable thing to ask about -- so long as you direct that question
to Novella, neighbor-to-neighbor.

But you did not ask Novella, you asked the Mayor and Police Chief.  In
so doing, you asked the government to enter a zone they are forbidden
to enter, in all but the most extreme cases.

In point of fact, it is *not* reasonable to ask the government to
manage or make guarantees about private political gatherings, because
the government is just not in that business.  The First Amendment
makes it so, and thus is very much relevant to your questions.

Now, if someone parks illegally and blocks you in, that can be dealt
with by the government straightforwardly at the time.

Prior restraint on free expression is also forbidden.  You have to
wait for someone to break some rule before the government can act.
This rule is so strong, it is even held to on the matter of the
release of classified information.  It certainly holds for an Obama
party.