[RP TownTalk] Walk aways

Alice Ewen Walker alice at ewenwalker.com
Sat May 31 18:06:03 UTC 2008

We recently got our code department back up to 2 full time staff and,
assuming we can make the budget work for next year, the goal being discussed
now is to add a third code officer, which is a significant increase in our
enforcement capacity. We also recently moved code enforcement under the
supervision of our police department to enhance coordination and metrics
tracking.
Without speaking for others, I think the general feeling of the council has
been that we need to step up code enforcement to handle a variety of issues
-- graffiti, aging apartments, commercial properties, and - as you observe -
what will be an increasing problem of vacant properties.

There is also an assistance program which the town will be able to connect
residents with. It is called HOPE - "Homeowners Preserving Equity" -
www.mdhope.org / 877-462-7555. It provides free nonprofit counseling to
residents to connect with financial assistance that can help residents
prevent homes from going into foreclosure. Prince George's County and
Baltimore City are experiencing the highest rates of foreclosure in the
state. I'm going to be keeping my eye out for other resources that may be
available.

- Alice

Alice Ewen Walker

--