[RP TownTalk] Chickens are back

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 16 11:23:12 UTC 2008

Well, must be that time of year again; Sunday morning I was walking across the railroad crossing at Queensbury Road and there was a plastic bag right in the middle of the road where it intersects w/ the track.  And, yes, there was a dead chicken, feathers & all in the bag.  About 50 feet south on the track there was another "chicken bag."  I "called them in" and moved the bags to the side of the road.  If you find any of these bags, be VERY careful about picking them up; not just because of germs, but I've heard rumors that the people who are leaving these bags are putting caustic materials on them so that people who try to move them will get burns on their hands.  (I used a wad of kleenex to move the bags I found).  It seems that the "chicken bags" make their appearance in late August/early September, and yesterday was a full moon.  Don't know if it's connected with Santeria or other beliefs...  But anyway, if you see these bags, be careful if you move
 them.  When I find the bags, I call either Public Works or, if it's the weekend, the police.    Maybe I missed it, does that amended town rule that was in the Crier last time about proper disposal of dead animals have anything to do with our chickens?