[RP TownTalk] Mural Idealist

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 13:08:12 UTC 2009

> Do you have pictures of what was approved as your mural?

In the first message posted on this thread, Chris gave a link to
preliminary sketches.
(http://www.muralcollaborative.netfirms.com/muralintro.htm) I just
tried to follow it again, and got the message: "The website you have
requested has exceeded its daily bandwidth quota of 56MB and has been
temporarily de-activated."

I'm hoping maybe the town could post the pictures somewhere so we can see them?

> Who approved?

No one yet - Chris invited us as a community to participate in helping
design and produce the mural. (I'm including his original message
inviting our participation, below.) I think Chris is doing a great job
trying to balance the wishes of many members of the community. As the
Cranky Old Coot said, "Everyone's a critic!" and what Chris is doing
is very difficult. I applaud his efforts.

And I'm glad we are getting so many people interested in and involved
in the process.

-Sarah

------

from	Christopher Martin <chrism at pgcps.org>
to	towntalk at riverdale-park.org
cc	Alice Ewen Walker <alice at ewenwalker.com>,
James n Julie Coleman <jnjcolemans at yahoo.com>
date	Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:09 AM
subject	[RP TownTalk] Mural Idealist

Hello Riverdale Town Talkers,

A note from Community Based Classroom Teacher / Riverdale Resident /
mural planner:

In my class's conception of this mural  -- the rainbow squares and/or
other squares in this rough sketch (see
http://www.muralcollaborative.netfirms.com/muralintro.htm) could be
filled with symbols designed by local artists/ community members,
working side by side with CBC students.  In that sense, if there are
any strong Symbols of Riverdale that Historic Preservationists want to
fit into the mural - you're more than welcome to.  There are about
7-10 or more squares available with this sketch.  We'd love to have
and want input/asistance from any artists or aspiring artists from
town - neighbors Jim L and Sherita S... that means you! :)

If we - cbc artists, riverdale artists/community members-  wanted to
change the design to some degree to include landscapes/moments from
town history.. we could do that also.  The process of community
involvement is as important as the artwork in this mural.  The
challenge is getting multiple artists/ideas into a coherent mural.  I
think the sketch's division by squares / rainbow of symbols has the
potential to incorporate many different perspectives into a unified
landscape.  By allowing CBC students to follow through with their
initiative here, getting community involvement (including the
elementary school too) from experienced artists and beginners - this
mural can serve many purposes.  It's a big enough bridge for us all to
fit under it!

CBC students would like to start attending the Thursday Market to
assist us locals create potential design squares, have a children's
drawing space, and raise a little $ for the project, but as of yet
have not gotten the go ahead from Town / Market leaders.  Town /
market leaders... what's up?

For more info about CBC and its students go to www.pgcps.org/~cbc.

Thanks for your time.

Chris Martin