[RP TownTalk] Rallying the Troops for the Battle of Bladensburg!

Samantha Ferris Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com
Wed Aug 12 18:18:54 UTC 2009

Hi everyone! I hope none of you have melted away in all this humidity
and heat! Just as Riversdale is preparing for the Battle of Bladensburg,
we're calling on you to do the same! Rally the kids, family, friends,
and neighbors and head on over to Riversdale this Saturday, August 15,
from noon - 4pm. This will be the 14th annual reenactment and we're
anticipating it will go off with a "bang" that's as loud as the cannon
firing that will take place! British and American War of 1812 troops
will be camped out on the grounds and available for the public to chat
with. Live music, gunnery and marching drills, and cooking
demonstrations will be ongoing throughout the afternoon. The Mistress of
Riversdale, Rosalie Stier Calvert, should be making a visit to the
grounds, as well. Your tummies will be happy with period-inspired
refreshments for sale, courtesy of the Riversdale Kitchen Guild.

Kids! We've got some great activities for you, too! Enjoy dressing up
and activity sheets. Learn just what Francis Scott Key was talking about
when he wrote "the rockets' red glare" with a special craft and find out
some cool facts about the real Star-Spangled Banner as you learn how to
fold the American flag. You might even get recruited to join the
American troops and march with the soldiers!

All of these events are completely FREE! The house will also be open for
touring, with tickets $3/adults, $2/seniors, $1/students 5-18, and free
for kids 4 & under. Don't forget to take a peek in our gift shop!

Towards the end of August, Riversdale has 2 more events. Sunday, August
23 will be the Kitchen Guild's monthly Seasonal Selection. In a Pickle
will focus on harvesting fresh produce from the garden and pickling it
19th-century style for use during the winter. A few days later,
Wednesday, August 26, we will wind up our free Jazz on the Portico
summer series with Riverdale's own M.S.G. - The Acoustic Blues Trio, so
come out and support a great local group. Dinner will be available for
purchase before the show, as always. Let's cross our fingers for no
rain!

As summer winds down and the kids get ready to head back to school (I
can't believe I'm saying that already!), keep an eye out for information
from me and flyers sent home about our September 25 Hands-on History:
The Toymaker's Apprentice Program.

As always, feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns and
check our website for more info
http://www.mncppcapps.org/pgparks/places/eleganthistoric/riversdale_intr
o.html ! I hope to see many of you at the Battle of Bladensburg on
Saturday!

Cheers!

Samantha

Samantha Ferris
Education & Administrative Assistant
Riversdale House Museum
4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD 20737
Department of Parks and Recreation
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
samantha.ferris at pgparks.com / www.pgparks.com
301.864.0420 / fax 301.927.3498