[RP TownTalk] on tone & substance

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 18:39:53 UTC 2009

I feel compelled to step in here and make an appeal to everyone to
please follow TownTalk guidelines (which I believe are consistent with
general 'netiquette' guidelines).

Specifically, please make sure to avoid personal, ad hominem attacks
(including insinuations and innuendos). Discussion, including heated
discussion, of the substance of the issues is of course o.k.  To
comment overtly or implicitly that the ability of others to adequately
comprehend the issues is not.

I have asked the the list be put on moderation status for the time
being. This means I will get to review all posts before approving
them.  The sooner we can return to normal operations, the happier I'll
be!

The guidelines are available to read here:

A relevant excerpt from the guidelines:

1. Posters may not attack other list members for their choices or
opinions, although they may suggest that certain opinions are worth
evaluating or that there may be other points of view. We don't flame
here - we respect the opinions of our fellow citizens. Because respect
doesn't always mean saying "I agree", it's important to phrase
challenges in such a way that it is clear that it is not the worth of
the writer you are questioning, but rather the validity of the idea.
What is a flame? It is important to recognize that to disagree
respectfully, or to politely request a change of behavior, is not to
"flame".

Dwight Holmes
Volunteer Moderator, TownTalk