[RP TownTalk] Snow Removal

Cranky old Coot lking at knob.com
Tue Dec 22 00:46:01 UTC 2009

David having had time sitting in Kansas City rush hour traffic I have
had time to put some meat on my half baked idea of fiscally sound snow
removal.

The problem with removing only 1/2 of the snow now and the rest next
fiscal year when the town will have additional snow removal funds from
the 2010-2011 fiscal year is 'Which half is removed now, and which half
waits for July 1, 2010?'  I see two possibilities:

Option I. Remove all the snow from 1/2 the Town now,  clear the other
1/2 of Town next fiscal year.

If Public Works (PW) picks this option we need to make sure your block
(and mine) are included in the 1/2 that gets done now. To make this
happen we can use the same politics used in the Senate to move Health
Care Reform along - buy votes. So following the Senates lead we need to
assure that the head of the Public Works Sub-committee, David Lingua's,
block is cleared now. It would be good to have the Mayor's block cleared
too. Although he doesn't have a vote he could help get this passed in
the Town Council and we could use his vote if someone backs out and
there is a tie. Now all we need is three move votes to have a solid
majority.

I checked and it seems that the other council members live all over
town, one in each ward by chance. That will make it hard to gerrymander
a half of town to plow first. A half that just happens to include your
street, my street, the Mayor's block and that of 4 voting members of the
Council.

We will have to work on this fast or all of our barging chips will melt
away!

Option II.  Remove the top 1/2 of the snow from the hole Town now and
the bottom 1/2 next July.

This is the best real compromise, everyone gets something they need; but
no one gets everything they want.  The problem with this option is that
there are reports here on TownTalk that PW has already removed more than
half of the snow from some streets. So it wouldn't be fair without
putting some snow back in places so everyone has half their snow. I'm
not sure the Town had the equipment to re-apply snow.

Sense we will be using next year's snow removal money to remove this
years snow in July, there will not be any money for next years snow (if
there is any).  Again flowing the Senate's lead lets, as they say, 'just
kick it down the road' and worry about it next November/December. We may
be lucky and it won't snow, so there won't be a problem.

So what do you think David?

COC

--
I'm the Cranky Old Coot's keeper, and I approve this message

Lou King