[RP TownTalk] March Museum Madness at Riversdale

Ferris, Samantha Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com
Fri Feb 13 20:07:26 UTC 2009

Hi everyone! March Madness isn't just for basketball anymore! There are
LOTS of great programs Riversdale is gearing up for in March, lending
just a hint of our own brand of madness to the staff. Take a few minutes
to browse through what we've got coming up!  Spring lectures,
sleepovers, and shanteymen are in our near future!

--Spring Lecture Series.

Spring hasn't sprung yet, but it's just about to! Clean out the cobwebs
as you learn about a variety of topics - we've something to pique
everyone's interest! Lectures are $5 each and reservations are not
required. They begin at 7:30 and last about an hour.

Tuesday, March 3, 7:30 pm

Riversdale's own Ann Wass presents her lecture, "A Great Variety of
Things Both Elegant and Useful": Antebellum American Agricultural Fairs.
Beginning with the Arlington, VA, sheep-shearing fairs of George
Washington Parke Custis, proponents of American agriculture organized
local, county, and state fairs to promote domestic industries and
farming innovations.  This illustrated lecture will provide an overview
of fairs before the Civil War.

Tuesday, March 24, 7:30 pm

Dave Murray, a retired president of Ben Dyer Associates, Inc. presents
his talk on the 1853 William Sides Map of Charles Benedict Calvert's
Property and the Surrounding Area.

Even if this doesn't sound up your alley, think about this: Charles
Benedict Calvert's property, at its largest, stretched for roughly 2000
acres, encompassing areas between present-day Bladensburg and UMD's
campus. This lecture would be a great way to learn a bit of local
history and find out if your own property was once part of Riversdale!

(Just as a heads up, there are 2 additional Spring Lecture Series
topics: The Stier-Peeters Art Collection on April 14 and a panel
investigating the role of slavery in the development of UMD on May 5.
More info on these as they get closer!)

--

Hands-On History: Teen Immersion Overnight

Friday-Saturday, March 13-14, 5pm - 5pm

Last year, we ran our very first Teen Immersion Overnight and it was a
great success! This year, we've got an even better program lined up! If
you have a daughter, niece, granddaughter, Girl Scout, etc.,aged 13-19
who loves history or is looking for a unique experience, this is it!
Girls will spend 24 hours in the house as they learn about life 200
years ago. All meals will be cooked on the open hearth and participants
will have ample opportunities to take an active role in cooking prep.
They will also learn about period fashion, play period games, and
experience English country dancing with a dancemaster. Popular arts for
girls, including embroidery and theorem painting, are also on the
activities agenda! This program still has some spots available, but will
fill up FAST! There is a $75 fee for residents of Prince George's and
Montgomery Counties and a $90 fee for those out-of-town relatives and
friends. This includes all food, beverages, and supplies.

--

Tavern Night

Saturday, March 28, 8pm

Step back into the past and enjoy a rollicking good time at Riversdale's
annual Tavern Night. As usual, the Kitchen Guild will work their magic
and provide you with a wonderful experience of tavern-style foods and
beverages. The Ship's Company Chanteymen will be on hand to raise the
spirits and the voices! Tickets are $20 for residents of Prince George's
& Montgomery Counties and $24 for non-residents. All participants must
be at least 21 years of age. We already have quite a roster and this
program will surely sell out. Make your reservations today!!

One last thing!

If the weather cooperates and you're looking for an outing on Sunday,
February 22 (before those fabulous Oscar parties I'm sure you're all
hosting!), take a ride over to the mansion for our Black History Month
Plummers' Kitchen event. Included with a tour of the house ($3 adults,
$2 seniors, $1 students 5-18, free kids 4 & under), you will be able to
talk with Kitchen Guild members as they prepare foods common among
Maryland's enslaved African-Americans, including the Plummer family who
lived and worked at Riversdale. The cooking event runs throughout open
hours from noon-4pm.

Alright gang, that about does it! As always, email me at
samantha.ferris at pgparks.com or call the office at 301.864.0420 with any
questions or registrations. I will see some of you when you drop off
your children for the Confectioner's Apprentice program Monday and
hopefully I will be seeing the rest of you sometime in March!

Cheers!

Sam

Samantha Ferris
Education & Administrative Assistant
Riversdale House Museum
4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD 20737
Department of Parks and Recreation
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
samantha.ferris at pgparks.com / www.pgparks.com
301.864.0420 / fax 301.927.3498