[RP TownTalk] Poultry

JayRite at aol.com JayRite at aol.com
Sun Feb 22 16:11:47 UTC 2009

Then allow me to be the first to complain.
Having a token rooster as the town mascot is wonderful. I'm all for it,  it's
very cute.
But If I wanted to be around the..."essence" of chickens that I remember  all
to well from my childhood and growing up on the Delmava Penninsula, then I
would move back there. My Step Grandparents have a chicken farm in Roxana
Delaware. Chickens are riddled with disease, they stink, and die rather easily,
especially in the cold. Raccoons love them, (after all they taste like
chicken),  and WHEN they escape, they are nearly impossible to catch. Our town
resources,  that are already stretched to the limit, will have to deal with the
responsibility of chicken wrangling which is added cost to Animal Control.

This would require much more than just lifting a law. It would require a
special licence, a hefty registration fee, to cover the towns expenses of
chicken control, (wrangling, inspections, etc.), registration of each individual
chicken (to hold chicken ranchers responsible) And very patient neighbors.
COCK-A-DOODLE DOOOO!!!!!!!!

Sorry to be a downer on this. I'm all for naming our town mascot. But
against a back yard chicken mandate. It is a cute idea though.

Jay Wright

In a message dated 2/22/2009 10:26:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,