[RP TownTalk] Poultry

Regina Kreger regina at kreger.net
Mon Feb 23 12:24:31 UTC 2009

It might be a matter of restricting the NUMBER of chickens that could be
kept in any one back yard, or other reasonable controls.  I mean,
honestly, I don't think anyone wants to set up one of the Delmarva-style
chicken factories, those things are horrible.  Just a few laying hens in
a back yard, maybe a half dozen max.  And actually, our town code does
have reasonable provisions, it's just that county zoning seems to trump
them.  Is that just because our provisions are negative and not
positive?  (i.e., we say what is prohibited, not what is allowed).  Or
would county zoning trump us anyway?

Urban chickens are becoming a trend around the country.  Sort of the
next step to the farmer's markets trend, grow your own, eat even MORE
local.  See http://urbanchickens.org/ ,
http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/index.html ,
http://www.backyardchickens.com/ .

 From our town code:

§ 10-1. Definitions.
"Public nuisance animal" -- Any animal which is repeatedly found at
large; makes excessive, continual, or untimely barking, howling,
whining, crowing, or any other disturbing noise; molests passersby;
chases vehicles; causes fouling of air by odors; causes unsanitary
condition of enclosures or surroundings by virtue of the number of
animals maintained and is offensive or dangerous to the public health;
excretes on
property other than that of the owner; or is the cause of excretory
matter being dropped on the ground or floor, feed left lying about,
and/or housing materials which afford food, harborage, or a breeding
place for rats.
§ 10-4. Penalties for public nuisance animals. [Revised 3-6-95, Amended
9-8-98.]
(a) It shall be unlawful for any owner or custodian to fail to provide
effective care and control of his animals to prevent them from becoming
a public nuisance.
(b) Upon receiving a written or oral complaint and after an
investigation, the town code enforcement officer and/or the police
department shall declare an animal to be a public nuisance and shall
serve the owner with a notice of violation of this ordinance, and unless
the nuisance is removed or abated within ten (10) days, the owner shall
be deemed guilty of a municipal infraction.

§ 50-7. Stables, barns and poultry houses. [Adopted 1-20-54 as former §
54-10.]
No person shall keep any poultry, cattle, live stock or other animal in
such manner that the filth or stench therefrom may become offensive or
that may endanger health.