[RP TownTalk] Sonnenberg Building

Douglas McElrath mcelrathd at msn.com
Sun Jan 18 21:33:32 UTC 2009

The recent posts by Audrey Bragg and Ann Ferguson reminded me that an oral history interview with Elsie Sonnenberg was created when we were working on the Riverdale history book.  The original tape survives in the town history center.  Her reminiscences of life in our town in a much earlier time are one of the best sources for understanding the contributions made by past generations.  Her family's bakery was an important part of the business community, and the building survived nearly a century as a material reminder that Route 1 once was the Main Street of this part of Prince George's County.

A public display of the capstone would be a fitting way to celebrate a sense of place.  It would remind passers-by about what existed before the present streetscape was created.  I would be happy to work with others to develop a proposal that would combine the stone with text and photographs.

Doug McElrath
Ravenswood Rd.