[RP TownTalk] Sonnenberg Building

johnferg27 at aol.com johnferg27 at aol.com
Mon Jan 19 01:21:43 UTC 2009

Doug et al. -

Your proposal is a wonderful idea -- I don't know just how extensive you
could make this actual and pictorial public display, but I feel things like the
trolley line and the other shops of the past would give a sense of the Town in
 another time that could be quite evocative.

I know I remember a drug store across from the Sonnenberg building that was
not a chain -- just an old-fashioned style with a soda fountain.  It was a
treat for me and my children when I put the youngest in a stroller and had the
others walk holding on to the bars from our house on Oglethorpe Street up to
Route One for an outing.

I also remember there was a Little Tavern on the corner that is now the
Rite-Aid.  The bite-size hamburgers they sold were delicious and I had  a
fortifying cup of black coffee there as I waited out my five year-olds  tonsillectomy
at Leland Memorial Hospital.  There were still a few private  residences along
Baltimore Boulevard in my memories -- they went the way of the  wrecking ball
when the McDonald's came in and when the old "Homer's Gulf" gas  station was
expanded.

Of course many of you will still remember the shoe repair shop at the E-W
Highway corner -- the first "cobbler" that I knew there was an Italian man  and
he did very good work.  There was also, at one time, a portrait  photographer
in one of the buildings and a U.S. Post Office -- I don't believe  they were
in the Sonnenberg building but perhaps they were.  And, of  course, I took many
items to the Peeler's Dry Cleaners that was a drive-up -- so  convenient to
have all of these shops nearby.

I even remember before East-West Highway was constructed and we had a
gentle, residential street that cut over from the commuter rail area to (I  think)
Rittenhouse Street and up to Route One.  Of course, the traffic that  backed up
each morning and evening to cross the railroad tracks was horrendous  before
E-W -- so  I guess it was inevitable -- I always wished we could  have pushed
it further up north towards College Park --

In conclusion, Doug, good idea -- I'll be the first to stand up to be
counted in support and will offer whatever assistance you might feel of  value.

                  Ann  Ferguson
**************Inauguration '09: Get complete coverage from the nation's
capital.(http://www.aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000027)