[RP TownTalk] taxes

ABragg7393 at aol.com ABragg7393 at aol.com
Thu Jul 23 20:26:08 UTC 2009

Hi Marc,  I might have some insight.  Years ago properties were  not
assessed at fair market value, that's why the assessment was different than  what
a property sold for.  It was a percentage.  Then the county  decided to
assess with fair market value criteria.  That's why you see a  difference in the
older years compared to now as far as assessments go.
I still don't know what the solid waste is. (We are paying town tax for our
 waste products and it is supposed to be included in the town tax.)
Now you don't have to go to Montgomery County to compare solid waste
service charge.  Just compare an area outside of Riverdale Park that is not
incorporated. (Riverdale Heights)
The county picks up their trash and it is a fee on their tax bill.
Usually about 300+ dollars.
However if you look at properties in Riverdale Heights and compare their
assessments and taxes with ours, what a difference:
I did a few:
Assessment $355,510  Taxes $2026
Assessment $298,000 Taxes $2891
Assessment $337000 Taxes $3228
Assessment $380000 Taxes $3519

We pay higher taxes for living in our charming incorporated town.
Somewhere in there is a credit for trash pickup since the town does it and
it is part of the town taxes that we pay.  The other areas (Riverdale
Heights, Riverdale Hills, etc.) do not pay the town tax.

Being in Real Estate it is getting harder and harder to convince people to
live in our county since they get lower taxes in DC and Montgomery County.
 Soon as they see the taxes they ask why so high.  For some reason I can't
come up with a good answer and saying "Oh the services are so much better"
just  doesn't ring true for me.

Audrey

In a message dated 7/23/2009 3:40:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,