[RP TownTalk] taxes

Lou King lking at knob.com
Thu Jul 23 21:18:32 UTC 2009

ABragg7393 at aol.com wrote, On 7/23/2009 2:43 PM:
> I'm not a tax expert, but I believe that properties are assessed every
> 3 years.
As was explained to me by another jurisdiction this years tax assessed
value seems "really high" because of when assessments are done and when
the real estate market tanked.  In that case assessments were done 1st
quarter of the 08-09 fiscal year (Sep-Dec 08); the market dropped
Jan-Feb 09; now the tax bill arrives Jul 09 reflecting the Sep 08 value
of the house.

Of course if you tried to refinance after the drop, the value the bank
sees is much lower than the tax value which is based on last years
market.  With a 3 year cycle the difference is even more pronounced. The
assessment could have been done in 07, with the 08 and 09 taxes based on
the 07 value, all of which has nothing to do with what the market did
the end of 08 or in 09.

Now does anyone want to guess what will happen if the market goes backup
quickly? You would think the tax value would lag a year on the way up
just as it did on the way down.  We will see, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Lou King