[RP TownTalk] ERCO

johnferg27 at aol.com johnferg27 at aol.com
Mon Jun 1 19:50:14 UTC 2009

Thanks, Rob, for the excellent summary of the history of that roadway in
front of the old ERCO/NOAA building(s).  You are exactly right that there
was resistance to that short cut being made available so we always "trod
softly"  on the subject (with the owners previous to U/MD) to avoid a
confrontation that  could result in the installation of a barricade (which they have
the legal right  to do).

It would be nice if U/MD reps would be agreeable to putting some "cold
patch" into the potholes or, if that would not be agreed to, that they would
not  object to the Town filling them in.  (There are a few legal reasons the
second option might be refused).

Residents interested in seeing a collection of photos of the old ERCO plant
 and the Ercoupe can see some really good ones in The Riverdale Story, a
copy of which should be available for "look see" at the Town Hall OR you may
still be able to buy a copy with a full history of the town beginning with
the  construction of Riversdale and coming forward to 1995, the date of
publication for the Town's 75th anniversary.

One final note, when Riggs Bank reps came into the Town Hall  (some 12 or
more years ago) for approval of their plans for an Operations  Center  (now
PNC I believe), we required that they install a sign at a  primary entrance
to the building with a brief  history and some graphics  concerning the
history of ERCO.  The sign was made (of durable stainless  steel material) and it
was posted outside their building, near a pedestrian  walkway on Rivertech
Court.  I noticed on a visit to the town in the past  year that the sign is
nowhere to be seen.  Does anyone know the history of  its disappearance??
Did the new owner decide it was superfluous, was it  stolen or vandalized?  I
would be interested in knowing what happened to it  as the history of that
part of the Town is interesting and should be  perpetuated.

                        Ann  Ferguson

Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377040x1201454360/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun
eExcfooterNO62)