[RP TownTalk] F4 buses

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 31 10:44:56 UTC 2009

I didn't know someone was going to be at the work session last night re the F4 bus incident until I checked my e-mail this morning.  Poo.  Was someone at the meeting and if so, what happened?

I hope they put the F4 back, as it's an inconvenience to me to walk from my apartment up to Route 1 or Taylor Road to catch a bus, esp. as I have an arthritic knee.

>From what I could see at the accident scene, it seems to me that either or both of the bus drivers made some misjudgements.  The bus heading west comes out of Lafayette Avenue and makes a left on Queensbury and THAT bus would've had a stop sign.  The eastbound bus crosses the tracks and heads straight up Queensbury and makes a right up by the fire station to get to Riverdale Road.  The eastbound bus driver should've been 100 percent sure that he/she was able to clear the tracks completely before crossing them, and the westbound bus driver should've made sure he/she would not be blocking eastbound traffic on the tracks.

I've lived in the Riverdale Park/Riverdale area for 50 years and this is the first Metro bus/train accident I'm aware of.  Rather than inconvenience the many people in town who rely on the bus to get around it would make more sense to give bus drivers intensive training on driving in areas where there's railroad crossings.