[RP TownTalk] trolley trail - what to call it?

OurDollMom at aol.com OurDollMom at aol.com
Tue May 5 02:16:09 UTC 2009

Dwight - I really like your idea of what to
name the trail.  Let's go for it.  Em

In a message dated 5/4/2009 4:08:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dwightrholmes at gmail.com writes:

I'm not  sure why I should be thinking ahead to the day our new bike
trail is  operational on such a rainy, dreary day, but so be it. I
finally got around  to posting the update on the trolley trail that was
published in the  February 2009 Town Crier, complete with map and photo
(that were not  included in the Crier). You can find it here, on the
Wiki:  http://rpwiki.wetpaint.com/page/Trolley+Line+Hiker-Biker+Trail

There  are several reasons why I think it will be absolutely fantastic
to have  this trail available for the use of pedestrians and bikers.
For me, first  and foremost is that it will really make biking a viable
alternative to the  car for doing errands, going out to eat, have a
beer, etc. We are currently  blessed with a great network of trails
that, while some do indeed use them  for commuting purposes, are
largely used for recreational purposes.   And of course there's nothing
whatsoever wrong with having recreational  bike trails -- au contraire.
More is better!  But to be able to add to  that the ready ability to
hop on the bikes and get to any of the business  establishments
starting with Rhode Island Reds to the south up to any of  the many
establishments in "downtown College Park" to our north will  really
enhance our lives here in Riverdale Park, I believe.

I only  have one question: What will we call the trail?  I fear that it
will  inherit some long and cumbersome bureaucratic name, as a result
of its  history.  Since it will subsume the old alignment of the
Trolley Line,  it is perhaps natural to incorporate that into the name.
You'll note that  the M-NCPCC refers to it in the February update as
the "Rhode Island Avenue  Trolley Trail". And I suppose it could be
worse. But I believe it could be  better. What do you think? I also
fear that if we do nothing proactively,  it will end up with a long,
bureaucratic name that will be too long to use,  and then we'll be
reduced to calling it the "bike trail," only to cause  confusion since
we already have "the bike trail" a few blocks to the east  (Northeast
Branch Trail).

One idea I've had is to tie the route into  some even older history of
our area. When Riversdale was one of the few  things on the local map,
it shared that distinction with the George  Washington House (now home
to the Anacostia Watershed Society offices) and  the Rossborough House,
which is now part of the campus of UMd.  The  old highway that
connected Bladensburg to Baltimore and served these 3  historical
buildings was known -- as best as I can tell from available  online
documents, was the "Old Post Road."  (There may well have been  other
old names as well -- do you know of any?).  Although the  alignment of
that old 'goat path' highway may not precisely coincide with  our
soon-to-be hiker-biker trail, I think it would be a great way to  bring
in a bit of local history.  Painted arrows or footprints (or  whatever)
could direct tourists from each of the historical places to the  trail
itself, and the trail could be marked with "street signs" that say  Old
Post Road (or Old Post Road Trail); the signs likely would be  brown,
to denote historical significance.  That's one  idea.

Another idea plays off the "Alt 1" and "Route 1" highways we  have.
Since this trail is by definition "green" since it uses  "alternative
power", we ought to be able to come up with a short, sweet,  succinct
name for the trail that connotes "alternative," "green" and Route  1
(since it parallels, and provides an alternative route to that  ugly,
unbikeable street 2 blocks to the west!)  I welcome suggestions  for
exactly what the name could be.  "Alt 1 Green"?  'Alt Green  Trail"?
???????????

Creatively done, this could perhaps even help  attract some grant
funding - at least for the signs and historical plaques  and trail
markings.

It could also provide a more unique and  prestigious address to our
Town Center businesses.  Currently there is  great ambiguity as to
whether these buildings are on Queensbury Rd. or  Rhode Island Avenue.
Why not have them be on Old Post Road? or Alt-1  Green?
TownTalk mailing  list
To post to the list, send mail to  TownTalk at riverdale-park.org
processing  only

For more  information about Riverdale Park, visit
http://www.riverdaleparkmd.info

**************2009 3 Free CREDIT SCORES: See Your 3 Credit Scores from All
3 Bureaus FREE!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221797372x1201397989/aol?redir=https:%2F%2Fwww.freescore.com%2FOffers%2FStart%2FFreeCreditRepor
tAndScore.aspx%3FID%3D91831F371F138345B53A153F49D4D872%26siteid%3De927580bf7
)