[RP TownTalk] Sister Romana

ABragg7393 at aol.com ABragg7393 at aol.com
Fri May 22 12:52:09 UTC 2009

What a wonderful story.  Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

In a message dated 5/21/2009 10:41:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
johnferg27 at aol.com writes:

Thank you for the story about Sister and the couch -- that certainly
brings back strong memories of her.

I recall she called me at the Town Hall one day as the television set  they
had in their sitting room would not work.  The Sisters did not  believe in
using the Yellow Pages, but instead used the neighbors and friends  network.
 Sister Romana called for help and, of course, I got on it ASAP  -- I
called the late Steve Durovic, then councilmember of the area around
Leland/Crescent Cities Center -- some of you probably remember him.   Steve was a whiz
with electronics and, with hesitation, he agreed to look at  the set.  Now
Steve was nominally a Catholic, however, he was not a  regular at church.  I
believe he was sure the nuns would see through him  and, when he learned he
had to ascend to the second floor (small, spare  sitting room) where the
antique type television set was, he began to get more  and more nervous.  I
stayed with him (otherwise I think he would have  fled down Queensbury Road)
and he stretched out on the floor, used one tool  and then another, and in
about 10 minutes had the set working again.  The  sisters blessed him both in
words and gestures and Steve backed out of the  room, hopped down the stairs
and away he went!!  I know he was glad  he helped them (would never admit
it, of course), but I don't think I'd have  gotten him back there again so I'm
glad his repair job worked well.

Also, when one of the younger sisters was learning to drive, Sister  Romana
called to ask me if someone would take the sister out for a drive  around t
o polish their skills.  I passed on the request to Chief Evans  for
suggestions -- he felt it was a proper community service request and  assigned a
young officer.  I always remember when the officer returned  from the "ride
around" -- he said the sister did a  lot of blessing of  herself and he wasn't
sure she fully comprehended her right and left  turns.  He must have been a
good teacher as the sister got her license  two weeks later and I'm sure the
blessings helped, too.

I have heard from parents who were well pleased with the sisters' care of
their children.  They have commented that their "just learning to talk"
children came home knowing the Pledge of Allegiance with an Italian accent --
I always enjoyed that story.  I wonder if saying our Pledge is a standard
part of other daycare centers practice or if it is unique to this center
because the sisters are so grateful for their lives in this country they want
to be sure to reenforce its presence to our young.

                                       Ann  Ferguson

processing  only

For more  information about Riverdale Park, visit
http://www.riverdaleparkmd.info