[RP TownTalk] CSX and Riverdale Park Police coordination?

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Fri May 29 15:15:07 UTC 2009

Don and neighbors,

Clearly the common sense requirement (I'm not certain if an actual legal
requirement) for an effective flag system was not at work here.  CSX in
notorious for not informing local govt of their activities (ours or any
others) so we are left to try to react with limited or sometimes no
information.

This description might help us get a little better response as this clearly
could lead to deaths of motorists.  We will try.

Several important facts to keep in mind as we interact with CSX 1) Railroads
are regulated by the federal gov't and even the state has very little legal
leverage over them; 2) CSX (and probably all railroad companies) do not want
to have any vehicle crossings and would be all to happy to simply see our
crossing eliminated entirely. Thus, demanding safe practices invariable have
them suggest a closing as the safest alternative--clearly an unacceptable
alternative

Best wishes,

Vern

--