[RP TownTalk] Street sweeping

Melissa Avery m.avery at rocketmail.com
Thu Sep 3 12:59:00 UTC 2009

>From the Keep America Beautiful Site regarding Litlitter.

"Why do people litter?
People tend to litter because they feel no sense of personal ownership. In addition, even though areas such as parks and beaches are public property, people often believe that someone else a park maintenance or highway worker will take responsibility to pick up litter that has accumulated over time. Because any and all items used in human activity have a potential of being littered, the scale of this issue is significant.
Because Keep America Beautiful believes litter is often a starting point for other community blight, and that everyone shares a personal responsibility to help prevent litter in their community, we encourage solutions that involve public education and volunteer action. Knowing more about the causes of litter and where it comes from is a good place to start in addressing litter prevention. One person, one business, one organization can positively affect the behavior of others in their community."